Wednesday, December 15, 2010

3. Reasoning of the Law -- analysis of the thinking process and logic used by your lawyer

Question 1: 

I am an audio composer.  Some of my works may be in the media via television, radio, CD, DVD, Film.  Some of my compositions may be in the form of original song, poems, music.  How would I protect an original piece of audio and prevent people from performing it live at certained paid performances?  Especially the original songs and music composition.

Answer 1: 

The work should be registered with the US Copyright Office.  You would then be able to obtain a court order preventing people from performing it without your permission.

Question 2:

As an audio engineer, I may be called to design a ground up built for a mixing lab and/or mastering house.  The designs will be strictly for acoustic purposes.  It may involve sound absorbers and or deflectors that may swing out from walls.  It also may include raised flooring.  If I spec out a specific piece of room device or flooring, and the item injures someone. Can myself (as the room designer) be held liable for injuries incurred?

 

Answer 2:

There is a possibility that the designer could be held liable. 

Question 3:

If I propose a design for a potential client and they refuse the design but use it regardless what can I do? 

Answer 3:

If you still retain the copyright in the design and your copyright is registered with the US Copyright Office, then you could seek monetary damages and a court order preventing use of the design. 

Question 4:

If I work on a video project with a partner and it was free, but they sell it later can I be compensated?

Answer 4:

It depends.  If you any your partner hold the copyright in the video project jointly, then you have an argument that you are entitled to compensation.   

Question 5:

If production work is created using a popular program, am I allowed to make money off of it?

Answer 5:

It depends on the situation.  For example, if you use MS Word to write a novel, you are certainly entitled to make money from selling the novel. 

Question 6

If a film I worked on is produced and shown in theatres, and my name is left out of the credits is there anything I can do to be compensated? 

Answer 6:

It depends on what role you played in the film and what contractual rights, if any, you have.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment