Thursday, December 16, 2010

5. Your own argument and opinions. Did you agree or disagree with the rulings. Provide some authority for your argument such as quotes from the boo

In my field of Audio Production things are cut and dried for the most part. Its simple, if I don’t want anyone to potentially make money using something I created copyrighting is the first step to protection. To have exclusive rights pertinent to what I create. It is basically a deterrent. , it is like the alarm in my car and it will not prevent anyone from stealing it. It still will not prevent anyone from stealing it; it just gives me right to ownership. I may never know what will be good and what may be great; as long as I have legal ownership the world should know that I composed it. Money makes things absolutely complicated.

I agree with all of the answers that a lawyer gave. The key is in the specifics. Especially in, “joint works… The US Copyright Office will accept for registration works that meet this statutory definition and will treat the authors as having equal rights to register and enforce the copyright, regardless of what the joint authors arrange among themselves.”, )Patent Copyright & Trademark, Nolo pg275). I work with various audio engineers, artist and musicians alike. Things fly back and forth rather quickly and many people share in the same works to complete it. Potentially there is a lot of money to be made if any of the audio works become popular.

Specifically for audio, “There are two types of copyrights for music: musical works copyrights, which protect songs and compositions, and sound recording copyrights, which protect the manner in which music is arranged and recorded—that is, the sounds fixed on the recording…”, two types, but then we have to think about how that relates to the monies involved, and if those monies overlap or is divided in an obscure way. “…Songwriters earn income from the exploitation of songs. Recording artists and record companies earn money from the sale of recordings. The same person or business can own both types of copyrights, but the musical works copyright is usually owned by the songwriter or a music publisher, and the sound recording copyright is usually owned by a record company.”(Patent, Copyright & Trademark, pg282-283)

Being able to do the right thing and copyright my things seems like a tedious process, but essential role as an audio engineer. The copyright is governed by a federal agency, the US Copyright Office. Practically it is copyrighted for life, I am able to pass the ownership rights to generations below me, and this includes exclusive rights and potential monies generated on behalf of my original works. The process may have changed since the beginning of copyrights but the ethical aspects never changed…”I created it! Its mine and I have PROOF! Keoni Angel”

No comments:

Post a Comment