Thursday, October 7, 2010

Week 1 EOC: My Voice

Can you imagine your life without your sense of hearing?  For myself that would be my private hell.  I study Audio Production at the Art Institute of Las Vegas, where the basis is ʻsense of hearingʻ.  I grasp any knowledge I can with every relating field of audio production, it just intrigues me.  I am currently on my Second year in my program. My favorite class so far at the Art Institute of Las Vegas was and  still is BROADCASTING, the most intensively progressive, hands on class yet.   Of course, the single most intense project is still Big Buck Bunny or the equivalent of.

Right now my humble perosnal audio/musical gear includes;  my trustee MacBook ver. 10.5.6, 2 Ghz, 4GB RAM.  Yes, I still run the origninal MBOX(with the focusrite preʻs) which is still aive after almost 10years!  400GB Hard Drive(ahem, art institute issued of course).  MXL 990 Condensor Mic mostly for vocal pick up and such, and MXL 991 Condensor Mic mostly for instrument  pick up.  I am a rare owner of the Yamaha QY100 MIDI Music Sequencer, I use it for lame sounds (dont laugh).  I do my listening on Event Project Studio 6 Monitor, while mixing, and Sennheiser 280HD while editing.  Although I know that these are not top of the line products but this will give me a bassline sound for any end user environment such as the home stereo or the car stereo.  I have experience with the Control 24 and Pro Tools HD, up to ver. 8.0.  I also had the previledge to mix on an SSI Duality, a similar one to the one we have here on campus.  I also had the chance to record on several API boards.

I record folley every chance I get using my Tascam DR1 recorder.  I record such things as ambient sound, natural sounds, office sounds.  I have also taken my recorder to local live shows and  have done recordings for a local band around town including such places as Diabloʻs Cantina, Hard Rock, House of Blues, Straight Up Gaming, BB Kings Jazz lounge.

I am currently working on a recording project for a Female Vocalist  named Lady Reiko.  I do a descent amount of  vocal recording, editing.  I also practice mixing for the project too.  I would like to step into the live sound reinforcment also, particularily reggae style.  I am also a bass player for her live band.  I own a variety of instruments from a five piece drum set, congas, bongos, bass guitar. 

Before I moved to Las Vegas, I was a technician at Intel Corporation.  There I held a Tech Two position, where I gained expert level knowledge in a veriety of machines.  I would perform software, and hardware maintenance, troubleshooting, repairt, upgrading duties.  I was a part of a four person, 24hr X 7days a week operation.  Our goal was to keep all of assigned machines up and running with the lowest possible down time (green to green) as quick as possible, keeping company cost low and of course without hindering quality work and above all safetest work possible.

I know what it is like to be under a lot of pressure and deadlines.  I believe I have been successful on many occasions.  I am definitely a team player.  Very seldom that I am placed into a team environment and dont come back with my share of the work.  Very seldom do I come back with less then 110 percent as well.  I am goal oriented!  And know how to measure success.  I believe goals and success works hand in hand.  In order to measure success, you must; set a goal or milestone, and within a defined deadline, hit that goal and or milestone.  I believe in doing so you willfully earn the right to be successful in anything you do. 

I am proficient in both Windows and Mac environments.  I grew up using both.  The first computer I ever touched was a Macintosh apple IIe.  It was very lame, with a black and white screen, command line interface (like DOS).  My first hands on programing class was back in the Third grade on these systems!  Then the migration of the Windows era came in the early 90ʻs... My next platform that I had, a Windows 3.11 system.  A baby step up from the Mac IIeʻs but better applications.  Then... the whole world went balistic, including me, over the Windows 95 platform... OMG!  One of the first mouse user friendly sytem the world has ever seen!  Now if I only knew, to buy Steven Jobs(MAC) stocks when everyone was buying Bill Gatesʻ(Windows) stocks, I would have been a millionare by now.  Few years after that, I was plaqued by viruses and could not keep up my computer healthcare bill payments, I threw up on Windows XP, delightedly switched back to Mac.  Now that I have been virus free on my computer for over 2 years, I am sold on Macs.  However, I can still hold my own on Windows, I just think its easier using a Mac in the long run, the resale value is far greater and you are imune to laptop viruses.

Sounds really complicated my life?  Not really, I am an easy going guy.  I still own the same caro in which I have been driving for over 10 years.  It still gives my 30 miles a gallon and still takes me where ever I want to go.  My trustee 95 Honda Civic.  No outstanding recalls, and the best thing about it? Paid off.  Oh yeah, Im putting the club on my steering wheel and secretly killing the fuel pump with numerous switches.  If they really want to steal my car, they would have to tow it.  My plans our big for my car, I have been imagining the final product for my car ever since I got it.  BTW, did I mention that I am the first owner of it?  And it already has 200 thousand miles.  I first want to make atleast 300 thousand on my stock motor, then start going goofy on it.  I plan on burning E85 instead of unleaded gasoline.  Better for the environment, and at the same time I support some US corn growers!  Not to mention I can run full boost on my turbo system without worrying about my engine going pop.  E85 fuel burns much cleaner and smells better too.  Hopefully when that happens to my car I will be exempt from any smog checks J.

I support Obama.  Happy to say, I am down for some change, or even lack of it.  In that chair, whats the difference?  I am just interested of how this nation reacts to an African-American president, we wont feel it until he is out of office, but I know he will make a dramatic impact on the current situation.  I supported him ever since I learned that he is from Hawaii.  That is my native land.  I am from filipino descent and my grandfather migrated to the US in search of work in the Sugar Cane, and Pineapple industries.  He was one of the first groups to migrate from the Phillippines.  I am proud of where I came from and so eager to see where I end up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment